The iPhone, beyond its communication capabilities, has become a powerful tool for photo editing. One common task is removing the background from an image. Whether you’re creating content, setting a profile picture, or designing graphics, a clear subject with a transparent background can be very impactful. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to achieve this on your iPhone.
Built-in Functionality: Portrait Mode
1. Using the Camera App: If you have an iPhone with a dual-lens camera system (iPhone 7 Plus and newer), you can use Portrait Mode. This mode blurs the background, highlighting the subject. It’s not a complete removal, but it’s a start.
2. Edit in Photos App: After taking a picture in Portrait Mode, open the Photos app. Tap on the image, then tap ‘Edit’. You can adjust the level of blur using the depth control.
Third-Party Apps for Background Removal
1. Background Eraser: This free app offers a suite of tools designed for background removal. Once you’ve removed the background, you can save the image as a PNG file, which preserves the transparency.
2. Superimpose: Superimpose allows for more advanced edits, including masking and layering multiple photos. It’s perfect for those wanting a bit more control over their edits.
3. Magic Eraser Background Editor: This app detects the image’s edges and allows for easy background removal with just a tap. It’s user-friendly and efficient.
Steps for Using Third-Party Apps
- Download and Install the App: Choose a preferred application from the App Store and download it.
- Open the App: Launch the app and grant necessary permissions.
- Import the Photo: Most apps will have a ‘+’ or ‘Import’ button. Use this to select your photo.
- Use the Erase Tool: Carefully erase the background. Some apps may have an auto-detect feature that makes this process smoother.
- Save and Export: Once satisfied, save the edited photo. Ensure you save as PNG if you want to maintain the transparent background.
1. Are there any free apps that can remove backgrounds? Yes, apps like Background Eraser offer free versions. However, some might have in-app purchases for advanced features.
2. Can I use these apps on other iOS devices like iPad? Most of these apps are compatible with other iOS devices. Always check the app details on the App Store for device compatibility.
3. Do I lose image quality when removing backgrounds? The quality largely remains the same. However, saving the image in low resolution or excessive editing might lead to quality loss.
4. Can I add a different background after removing the original? Absolutely! Most background removal apps also provide tools to add custom backgrounds. Alternatively, use apps like Superimpose to layer images.
5. Is it possible to undo changes if I’m not satisfied with the edit? Most editing apps offer an undo feature. Additionally, always keep a backup of the original image to ensure you can start over if needed.
Removing the background from an image on your iPhone has never been easier. With the power of the built-in camera and a plethora of third-party apps, you can achieve professional-level edits right in the palm of your hand. Whether it’s for design, content creation, or personal use, having this skill will undoubtedly come in handy.