Flooring installation is just one of the many occupations of a local handyman, together with carpentry, fence fixing, door repair, insulation installation, window screen repairs, and others. In this article, we will show you how to install a hardwood floor, in five easy steps (pun intended). Hardwood is the best choice of material, not only due to its durability but also its versatility, which makes it easily integrable in any style or decor. Without further ado, let’s see how to get the job done:
- Choose a suitable hardwood floor. According to the local handyman we consulted, the hardwood floor’s biggest enemy is humidity. If you live in a humid area, you will need to choose an engineered version, with a moisture barrier. Experts will calculate the humidity level in each room and will advise you accordingly. The rest is up to you and the style in which your house is decorated.
- Remove the old floor. There is no exaggeration if we say that this is the most difficult step in the process. Depending on the case, a local handyman could remove layer after layer of old flooring, only to discover another layer of vinyl underneath. Pulling up the old flooring thoroughly is hard and time-consuming, not to mention disposing of the waste afterward. However, a professional will do what he knows to do, and what he is paid to do.
- Prepare the sub-floor. Even if he will install a new floor on top, a local handyman knows that even the smallest gouge can cause bouncing and squeaking. This is why, before the actual installation, he will repair the sub-floor by perfectly leveling it. If the damage is too great, intervention from a structural engineer will be needed.
- Prepare the new floor. Ideally, the new floor should be installed during spring or autumn, when outside temperatures are not too extreme. However, they can be installed during the summer or winter too, with the proper precautions. A local handyman knows that it might take up to a week and a half for the floor to acclimate to your home’s particular temperature and humidity.
- The actual installation. Properly installing the hardwood floor begins with laying the first few boards. If they fit perfectly, the rest of the installation will be easy. However, if done improperly, the flooring will have gaps and won’t lay evenly. The biggest challenge comes from the fact that floors aren’t perfect rectangles or squares. Nevertheless, an experienced local handyman will have no problem around walls, vents, and doorways, and will know how to make the transition between different rooms and flooring types.
If you live in the Greater Fredericksburg Area, VA, you should know that the best handymen are found at HBSOnTime.com (Home & Business Services). This is a family-owned business operating since 2013 in Fredericksburg, as well as the following counties: Caroline, Culpeper, King George, Louisa, Orange, Spotsylvania, and Stafford. Apart from handyman services, they also offer professional residential and commercial cleaning, carpet cleaning, home maintenance, and turnkey services.