What you need to know about getting a music license in Australia?

 What you need to know about getting a music license in Australia?


If you think of using music in your business (or running a wedding), you may require more than one license type. The good news is that obtaining a license is easy, but it’s important to know what kind of licenses your event needs and where to start. This article will examine the different types of music licenses available in Australia and how much they cost. We’ll also discuss when it’s appropriate to seek legal advice and ensure that all your bases are covered concerning licensing.

What kind of music licenses are available in Australia?

There are two main types of Music licensing in Australia (P.11):

  • Public Performance Licenses (referred to as “PPL” ): These licenses cover venues that use recorded music, such as restaurants, bars, cafes, and shops. They also cover events held at businesses that play recorded music, such as staff parties and conferences. A PPL is valid for one year from the date it’s purchased and can be renewed for a small additional fee.
  • Copyright Licenses: These licenses cover live musical performances at nightclubs and pubs, weddings, and private functions like birthdays or corporate events where musicians perform on stage in front of an audience. A copyright license is valid for one year from the date it’s purchased and can be renewed after this time for a small additional fee.

What licenses do I need to play music at my wedding?

When you’re playing music at your wedding, you must ensure that the appropriate licenses have been obtained.

You’ll need a public performance license from APRA/AMCOS and a mechanical license from APRA/AMCOS for any music that’s not your own. You will also need to ensure that the songwriter or copyright owner has permitted the use of their work in your video or film (if applicable).

Finally, if you want to play music in an edited or remixed form, you will need a synchronization license from PPCA and a mechanical license from APRA/AMCOS.

How much does it cost to get a music license for a wedding or event?

The cost of your music license will depend on several factors, including the venue size, the type of music you want to play, and how long you want to play it.

For example, a small event license may suffice if you plan an intimate wedding with only a few guests. But if you have an extravagant party with hundreds of people in attendance (and high-end DJ equipment), it’s worth getting a full “public performance” license that covers any type of music played at your event.

In general:

  • For events involving fewer than 200 guests: $60 (USD 45) per day or $180 (USD 135) per weekend.
  • For events involving more than 200 guests: $250 (USD 185) per day or $750 (USD 585) per weekend.

How do I get a music license for my wedding or event?

First, you need to contact Music licensing in Australia (P.11). They’ll help you find a suitable license and ensure you have one before playing any music.

If you’re planning on having one or more artists play at your wedding, they can also arrange individual licenses for each artist performing at your event.


It’s important to understand the different types of Music licensing in Australia (P.11) and what they cover. The process for obtaining a music license can be tricky, but it doesn’t need to be overly complicated. If you want to play recorded music at your wedding or event, then it is likely that you will need both an APRA/AMCOS and PPCA license.


Dom Charlie

Related post