Indian gooseberry (Phyllanthus emblica) commonly known as “Amla” is a deciduous tree with edible fruit of the family Phyllanthaceae. It is bitter in taste and has a high density of ellagitannins and has high amounts of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Indian gooseberries also contain polyphenols, such as flavonoids, kaempferol, ellagic acid, and gallic acid and are also rich in punicafolin and phyllanemblinin A. Do you know??? This translucent green fruit has the super power of saving us against countless ailments. This packet of goodness has eight times more vitamin C content than an orange while has twice the antioxidant power of acai berry, and approximately around 17 times that of a pomegranate. With this high superfood status there are many benefits of having Indian gooseberry in our diet. Have a look:
Benefits of Adding Indian gooseberry to your Diet
- Indian Gooseberry Provide Protection Against Common Cold – The vitamin C in amla is absorbed more easily hence when you mix two teaspoons of Indian gooseberry (amla) powder with two teaspoons of honey and have it three to four times a day you will get instant relief from cold or a cough.
- Indian Gooseberry Improves Eyesight – Carotene in Indian gooseberry improves vision. It also prevents eyes from reddening, itching, and watering. In fact its daily consumption has also been linked to improvement in overall eye health.
- Indian Gooseberry Helps In Boosting Immunity – It can overall act in building your immunity to fight against diseases.
- Indian Gooseberry Is Proven To Be Good For Hair – It is called tonic for hair. On one hand it helps in slowing down grays, preventing dandruff, strengthening hair follicles, and increasing blood circulation to the scalp while on the other hand it also acts as a natural conditioner.
- Indian Gooseberry Is The Best Anti-Aging Fruit – Consuming its juice with honey every morning can give you wrinkle-free, healthy and glowing skin. It prevents premature ageing, fine lines, dark spots and wrinkles.
- Indian Gooseberry Helps In Reducing Bad Cholesterol – It is loaded with chromium which aids in reducing bad cholesterol and also helps in keeping the blood pressure level under control.
- Helps in Reducing Menstrual Discomfort – It is thought that the minerals and vitamins in the Indian gooseberry together form a remedy in the treatment of menstrual cramps.
- Indian Gooseberry Aids in Digestion – The green fruit is very high in fiber and adds bulk to the stool and helps move food through the bowels and keeps bowel movements regular. This reduces the chances of constipation. Amla also stimulates the secretion of gastric and digestive juices, so food is digested efficiently, nutrients are absorbed in an optimal way, and you feel lighter and healthier.
- Indian Gooseberry Prevents Heart Diseases – It strengthens the heart muscles and hence proven to improve heart health. It may lower down the chances of stroke and heart attack.
- Indian Gooseberry Aids in Weight Management – It benefits people who are struggling to manage their weight. A protein present in Indian Gooseberry helps prevent cravings and make us eat less hence helping in shedding weight faster.
- Indian Gooseberry Acts as a Natural Blood Purifier – Powdered Indian Gooseberry when mixed with a tablespoon of honey or jaggery acts as a great natural blood purifier. It can increase your hemoglobin when taken regularly.
- Indian Gooseberry Helps in Detoxification Of the Body – The presence of phytochemicals such as quercetin, gallic acid, corilagin, and ellagic acid in amla helps in detoxifying the body by scavenging free radicals.